Allergies can affect anyone at any age whether they are environmental allergies, food allergies, pet allergies, mold allergies, or indoor allergies. Allergy symptoms can include anything from nasal congestion, sneezing, coughing, itching and burning eyes, skin irritation, and gastrointestinal discomfort.
A naturopathic approach to allergy treatment and prevention would include diagnosing the specific allergens one’s body is reacting to, helping each individual avoid such allergens, helping the body process and eliminate allergens through supporting the pathways of detoxification , using specific botanicals and nutritional supplements to assist in binding histamine, and using various homeopathic remedies to support the body’s inherent ability to achieve balance.
At my office I offer a variety of diagnostic tests to look at both the immediate and delayed immune response to allergens. While tests that measure IgE levels asses an immediate immune response, tests that measure IgG levels assess a delayed immune response. Such tests are run using blood samples, saliva samples, or both.
Natural approaches for allergy treatment include:
- Hypo allergenic and elimination diets to determine possible food allergies.
- Hydrotherapy such as castor oil packs and skin brushing to promote detoxification and help the body process allergens.
- Hydrotherapy such as a nasal lavage or netty pot to cleanse and decongest the nasal passages.
- Warming sock treatment to decrease congestion and stimulate the immune system.
- Nasosympatico treatment with essential oils to decongest the sinuses.
- Nutritional supplements and botanicals that bind histamine, decrease inflammation, and support the immune system
- Homeopathic remedies and nosodes to enhance the body’s natural vitality and help with symptoms such as watery eyes, itchy skin, nasal and bronchial congestion, coughing and sneezing. Homeopathic remedies are very safe and are frequently used with the pediatric as well as adult population.
- Acupuncture and Craniosacral therapy to support the body’s emunctories and process of detoxification, enhance the immune system, and help reduce the most common allergy symptoms by supporting the body’s ability to heal.